Bairnsdale Friends of Timor Leste - supporting Santo Antonio Secondary School, Baucau Marist Teachers College and Baucau Local Timor Leste seasonal workers
The Salesian of Don Bosco are committed to raising the educational standards for the young people of Timor Leste . Enrolment at their co-ed school has grown from 600 to 1,000 students. Year 12 standard in Timor Leste is roughly an Australian Year 10. Many students have suffered trauma in their lives and many travel long distances for school. Few teachers are qualified. Despite difficulties, the school aims for the highest standards. Students speak Tetum and/or Indonesian, and must study Portuguese and English. Portuguese is the Official National Language.
Many students have no breakfast and a nutritious school lunches, which may be their only meal for the day, enables them to spend a full day at school.
The Marist Brothers run the Catholic Teachers College that offers an Australian accredited Bachelor of Teaching. It is the only tertiary institution outside of the capital Dili. It is also the only provider of quality pre-service basic education teacher training in the country. The educational infrastructure in Timor-Leste is still weak, but the Marist goal is to strengthen the system and provide the country with fully qualified teachers. Scholarship Funds are administered by the Marist Brothers, in Timor Leste.
LOCAL EAST TIMORESE SEASONAL WORKERS
We support the locally employed Timor Leste workers, numbering between 12 and 30, by providing pastoral care. This involves helping them to settle in to the local community by giving guidance regarding such things as housing and how to access the health system. We also provide social opportunities such as BBQ's enabling them to mix with local people.
Since 2003, many BFOET volunteers have visited Timor Leste, teaching English at ESSA (Escola Secundaria Santo Antonio) in Baucau. They have taught English and other subjects at ESSA and at other schools; provided vocational guidance for senior students and contributed to their welfare needs and joined in extra-curricular activities.
- Paid fees for fourteen students at Don Bosco Trade School in Dili.
- Fully supported fourteen and partially supported eighteen Tertiary students, now graduated.
- Paid school fees for poor students at ESSA.
- Subsidised costs of English – Tetum Dictionaries.
- Paid expenses for Salesian Youth Group, Baucau.
- Fully supported three trainee teachers at the Marist Teachers College in Baucau, now graduated.
- Partially supported four tertiary students at Dili Institute Fully supported five University students in Jogjakarta, Indonesia, now graduated.
Currently we are:
- Supporting one final year Dili Institute tertiary student completing studies in Indonesia.
- Providing nutritious lunches at ESSA, Baucau.
- Providing FOUR scholarships of $4,500 for selected students, to undertake Bachelor of Education degrees.
- Supporting local East Timorese seasonal workers by providing pastoral care.
Our Group raises funds for the Lunch and Scholarship programs through income from the pastoral care of local seasonal workers, raffles, catering, etc, and through direct contributions. Funds raised locally are transferred directly to the Salesian Fathers and Marist Brothers in Baucau, with nominal bank fees payable.
WHERE DONORS DO NOT REQUIRE A TAX RECEIPT
Please make cheques payable to ‘Bairnsdale Friends of Timor Leste’.
WHERE DONORS DO REQUIRE A TAX RECEIPT
Please make cheques payable to ‘Salesian Missions’ and endorse For Lunch Program, Baucau.
These donations are forwarded through the Australian Salesians Missions Office, where Administration costs are approx 8%.
Please forward all cheques to P.O Box 628, Bairnsdale 3875, and include the donor’s name and address.
ALL FUNDS ARE DISBURSED EFFICIENTLY FOR THE WELFARE OF OUR NEIGHBOURS IN TIMOR LESTE.
CHRIS 0418148657 - FRANK 51568844 - PAUL 0418377076 - SUE 51577507 - VIKKI 51524454